Skip to contentSkip to site navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

What does the Health Service at Vassar provide?

Vassar College Health Service provides primary medical care to students throughout the academic year and is open while students are in residence weekdays from 9:00am to 5:00pm and weekends 12 noon to 4:00pm. The staff at the Health Service consists of health care professionals with many years combined experience in identifying and treating the full spectrum of medical problems that can occur in students. The center operates simultaneous medical and nursing clinics with regularly scheduled appointments during the daytime together with a separate Gynecology Service. Emergencies can be seen any time we are open. Call 845-437-5800.

What is the response to an emergency?

For serious accidents or dangerous illness call the Campus Response Center at 845- 437-7333 immediately to request E.M.S and security response. During daytime hours weekdays from 9:00am to 5:00pm and weekends 12 noon to 4:00pm the Health Service provides on campus emergency response. During the night and on weekends the Vassar College Emergency Medical Service, which consists of students who are New York State certified E.M.T’s, provides emergency coverage of the campus while school is in session. There is a registered nurse on duty from 9:00am to 5:00pm at the Health Service during the week and from 12 noon- 4pm weekends to evaluate emergencies and there is a medical staff member on call. Arlington ambulance responds quickly to transport students to local hospitals.

What hospital will the student be sent to?

Most will be transported to either the following local facilities:

  • Vassar Brothers Medical Center 845-454-8500.
  • MidHudson Regional Hospital of Westchester Medical Center (formerly St Francis) Emergency Room 845-483-5000

What if a student falls ill during the night when the health service is closed?

The Health Service is open from 9:00am to 5:00pm weekdays and 12 noon to 4:00pm weekends. When the Health Service is closed and there is an emergency call E.M.S/Security at 845-437-7333 for emergency response. E.M.S and Arlington ambulance will be activated. If you have a less urgent problem but are unsure of the need for immediate care, contact our nursing triage service through our Answering Service by calling 845-437-5800. A triage nurse clinician will help decide if you need immediate care or if you can wait until the Health Service opens in the morning.

There are the following college professionals on call at all times:

  • Medical staff
  • Psychological Counselor
  • College Administrator-on-call
  • Security

Who has access to the student’s medical record?

The professional health care staff at the Health Service have access to the medical records at Baldwin and they are kept confidential. The student needs to sign a release to allow someone else access to their medical records. You may pick up a copy of our Confidentiality Policy at the front desk of the Health Service.

Will parents be notified if a student is ill?

Generally, parents are not called if a student is ill unless the student requests parental notification or if the student has a very serious injury or illness. We feel that it is the student’s responsibility to notify parents for most deviations from health and encourage students to do so.

If a student suffers from asthma what provisions are there for urgent care?

Most asthma medications are available at Health Service for emergencies. These include inhalers, nebulizer treatment, oral prednisone and oxygen.

What happens if a student is sick and cannot study?

We recommend that students be seen at Health Service during their illness/injury so that we may give timely care. We ask that students discuss their absence from class or inability to do work with their professors.

If a student has a chronic illness how is their treatment maintained?

Many students with chronic illness can be monitored at the Health Service and/or local specialists while they are at Vassar. We request that students with chronic conditions bring their medical records with them so that this information is in their chart and we can coordinate their care.

How will a student get a prescription filled?

When seen at the Health Service and a prescription medication is needed, it can be obtained at the Health Service (if available) or it can be e-prescibed and filled at a local pharmacy. Prescriptions from a doctor outside of the Health Service can be filled at a local pharmacy or an appointment can be made with a medical staff member to obtain the medication (if available) at the Health Service. Please see our billing information. Directions to local pharmacies and other resources are also available.

Are there any charges if students are seen at the Health Service?

The health fee covers the cost of most visits to the Health service. There are minor charges for in house tests such as EKG’s, allergy injections and immunizations.  For more details, please refer to our billing information.

What does the Student Health Insurance cover?

Health Service visits are available to all students regardless of their insurance. Much of the cost of prescribed medications and laboratory tests are covered by the Vassar College Student Insurance. Additionally, there is coverage towards emergency room visits, outside specialist referral, diagnostic imaging and hospitalization. The insurance is offered through Gallagher Student Health and Special Risk and plan details can be obtained through their web site This is a PPO plan which uses United Healthcare as the Preferred Provider network. The coverage is customized for Vassar students. Please see the student health insurance brochure for complete details.

Can I get the meningitis immunization at Vassar?

Yes and you can also get allergy or flu shots, travel immunizations and advice.

What services are available at Gynecology Services?

Routine gynecologic care and well woman check ups. Call 845-437-5818 for an appointment.